Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Cars and shopping

I realized that virtually every time I get into the car to go someplace, it involves spending money. I don't know whether this is true for everyone and it wouldn't be for me if I drove to work. I bus to work, walk to church, walk to library, etc., and these don't involve spending money. If I drive it's almost always to a store of some kind and I spend money. Would American households spend significantly less if there were fewer cars? And I'm not asking about any costs directly associated with owning a car.

Yesterday, I wanted to go to Chipotle's to get dinner. I can get a great vegan dish for less money than any other restaurant. I decided not to because it would mean driving, however, it made me think- I get in a car and drive to spend money- even if I do enjoy it. I had dinner at home and didn't even spend $6.31 for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment