Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September 1- D-Day?

Well, this is the day that I chose to start officially not using my car. I'm giving myself a few weeks of slack, just in case. I've used my car twice in the last week- once last week for combined errands and Monday this week to take my Dad back and forth to garage to get his car repaired. It seemed the least I could do given him taking me to event on Saturday. I went grocery shopping with him on Monday as well. Since he's going anyway, it doesn't inconvenience him and it means I don't need a car for that purpose. Unfortunately, grocery stores are about 2 1/2 miles away, a bit far to walk carrying bags, especially since coming home requires going up a steep and significant hill. Long term, I'm thinking perhaps a scooter would be a good idea.

I received a useful comment from my friend, Mary E. about my last blog. "Your post about independence and interdependence was very interesting. The beginning of your post reminded me of the gerontology classes I've taken and the research in that field about how losing one's license as one gets older is one of the hardest parts of aging because of the loss of independence and the subsequent reliance on others. If I remember right, this is more problematic for older adults in America than other countries where public transportation is used more often. Also, losing one's license is easier for people living in urban areas versus those living in rural areas because it is easier get to places without a car. Just something you might find interesting and/or relevant to your experiences, not that you are losing your license because of age!"

No comments:

Post a Comment