Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Assessment Week 2

I give myself a higher grade for week 2, an A-. For starters, I didn't use my car once. I took buses to and from work, did food shopping once with my father in his car, walked to farmer's market, walked to church, drug store & convenience store when I needed things, and walked to library. In fact I didn't even think about driving a car much. Now, that was partly because I spent the weekend in bed with the flu, still, it counts! Not much of a carbon footprint from autos from me for the week!

I find that when I think about using a car it's almost always for one of two main reasons: (1)shopping or (2)social activities or volunteer work. And, it's almost always for instant gratification. Even though I've been working on cutting down on consumption/shopping/spending for 3 years now, it's tough. I think I've worked through most of food shopping issues: going with my father when he goes is working well; in summer a farmer's market is within walking distance (about a mile); there's a convenience store 3-4 blocks away; I could get to my regular food stores by bus and I'm getting more used to taking buses all the time; and next summer I plan to have more of a garden and I get about one meal a week now from my garden. I realized that I had a drug store within walking distance when I had the flu and am happy to support a local business, even if it's a bit more expensive. My clothes shopping is minimal, I can bus to my favorite- a discount thrift store- and my mother would be happy to go together when she goes. The thing I'm having the most difficulty with is stuff for the house as I'm finishing the first round of construction work. I moved in April, 2010. One of my brothers is doing work for me (Brothers are wonderful!!) and needs more drywall mud and tape. I'm going to drive my car to Lowes this afternoon to get more. I can't carry a bucket of mud on the bus as it's heavy for me even for shorter distances. Now, I could use my parent's car for this and will when I get rid of mine, however, it will take even more planning.

Yesterday, when I was taking the bus home from work, I saw that the garden store I like is having a sale on perennials. I suspect, if I'd been driving a car past, I would have stopped!

I think about when, how & why to use a car. A friend is coming to visit in October. I will use my car to pick her up at the airport and drive us around. I decided that this was a situation I would rent a car for and since I'm still paying insurance, etc. for my car will use it now rather than rent. However, even with no car, I can handle an out-of-town visit by renting.

No comments:

Post a Comment